Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Pistons Firing on All Cylinders

Ho-ly sheet! The Pistons play against the Bulls demonstrates they are in no mood for a repeat of their performance against the Cavs in the second round of the NBA Playoffs last year. Yes, Detroit beat Cleveland in the second round, but it was in a grueling seven game series that left them weakened to the eventual champs, the Miami Heat.

I know I said the Pistons would win this series, but can I revise the "in seven" part of my prediction? Chris Webber hits 10 out of 11 shots for 91 % FG, which sets a new team record, and I'm left wondering if Chicago can recover...

There is a glimmer of hope - these first two games played out more or less how I expected - Detroit won games one and two at home. Now it's time to pack it up and fly across Lake Michigan for a showdown in the windy city. The Bulls have been knocked down a peg or two, but the ball is in their court now.

I feel bad for Chicago, I've been sitting here pouring over their roster, and they really don't have the pieces to complete the puzzle. When two big men coming off the bench, Tyrus Thomas (18 pts) and Andres Nocioni (12 pts), score more point than your starting guards, Ben Gordon (13 pts) and Kurt Hinrich (2 pts), you are not going to win. Hell, Thomas alone scored more points than the starting guards.

For Chicago to win, it is going to take more than their big men. It is going to take their entire team. I know it is cliche, but spread the court!

Detroit is so complete, so well polished on both ends of the court, so veteran, so fundamental. The Pistons have taken away all of the momentum the Bulls had charging into the second round after sweeping the Heat. I fully expect a better showing from the Bulls when they play in Chicago, because to be honest, how could it be much worse?

No comments: