Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Gilbert Arenas: Still a Douchebag

You just have to read this, from an upcoming Chuck Klosterman article appearing in this Sunday's New York Times (by way of TrueHoop):

‘‘Sometimes you have to create your own legacy, and that is what I have done. There is no quirkiness about me. I just lash out at things, but it’s lighthearted. The freak part of me is not that I’m going to take 60 pills to get attention. I’m not that kind of freak. I just like to watch the Gummi Bears on TV. I’m not Ron Artest. I’m a character. The things I do, the things I say — these are things I sit in my house and think about. I know what I’m doing.’’

That's Agent Zero talking about himself. His concept of a "legacy" is apparently making everybody believe he's a Dungeons and Dragons playing social misfit. I used to hang out with a lot of D and D playing social misfits and none of them ever came off sounding this lame. Klosterman, Henry Abbot and others read more into this than is necessary, and even defend him as "normal." And I would agree; he is normal, because most highly paid athletes are probably douchebags. But I'm starting to think this guy's delusional fantasies are getting out of control. And wait a second, did he say he likes to watch Gummi Bears? That's either a reference to the old cartoon (which was great) or is it just possible he lines up the candy on his dresser and then picks their sweet gummi brains for ideas...

No comments: