Friday, February 23, 2007

Oh My Sweet Lord! Words Can't Describe the Brilliance...

I don't know what this is, but leave it to the maniacs behind Basketbawful to find this clutch gem. It appears to me as if there's like a whole sub-culture of homemade video game mash-ups. Just like when Danger Mouse mainstreamed mash-ups by laying Jay Z on top of the Beatles. It seems like ever since then, people are suddenly fascinated by the possibilities of laying one song on top of another. As if the concept of two songs in the same key sounding good on top of each other is really that mystifying. At any rate, this is so much more brilliant, because it's not as obvious, easy and basically self explanatory. This isn't a DJ playing 2 records at the same time, this is people creating something. They're using a program called RPG Builder, so don't marvel at their programming abilities, just marvel at the genius. A dude known only as Chef Boyardee has created what might be the best concept ever: he mashed up Charles Barkley's SNES title, Shut Up and Jam! with Final Fantasy. You get to be Charles Barkley, and you stalk the post-apocalyptic wastelands of a basketball-less future antagonizing, battling and chit chatting with all sorts of mutants, monsters, wizards and hall-of-famers. The result is pure hilacrity:



I am absolutely downloading this game and playing it post haste. If I wasn't so computer illiterate, I'd make my own... Stay tuned as I consider doing it despite my technological limitations. And be sure to watch the priceless trailer for the game.

No comments: